Accurate organisation and forward planning can minimise the stress of relocating. Here are some useful hints and tips for moving home.
Six – Eight weeks before your move:
- Confirm the date of your move
- If you’re renting, notify your landlord of your moving date
- Check your home insurance – make sure you have cover from the day you move into your new home.
- Seek quotations in writing from at least 3 service providers
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your cancellation of service date: Gas, Electricity, Wifi, TV cable Provider, LPT (Local property tax), Revenue, Home and car Insurance, Estate agents, Property management company,
- Book extra storage space if required.
- Declutter – Dispose of content you do not want or need prior to packing date. This will reduce your volume required for shipping and ultimately reduce your costs.
- Notify the bank of possible termination of direct debits and standing orders.
Two weeks before moving
- Start packing non-essential items such as books and non-seasonal clothes into boxes
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician: get your file from them
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- If you have young children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move. Send out change of address details.
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company. Confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have instructions to your new address.
- Arrange a time to collect the keys for your new home from the estate agent.